Friday 4 April 2014

Pronking Springbok

 Stotting (also pronking or pronging) is a behavior of quadrupeds, particularly gazelles, in which they spring into the air, lifting all four feet off the ground simultaneously. Usually, the legs are held in a relatively stiff position and the back may be arched with the head pointing downward. Many explanations of stotting have been proposed; there is evidence that at least in some cases it is an honest signal to predators that the stotting animal is not worth pursuing.
 

2 comments:

  1. "I was a lonely teenage pronking buck
    With a pink carnation and a pickup truck
    But I knew I was out of luck
    The day the music died"

    Most times, if you see Don McLean's lyrics written, this verse will be transcribed as "broncin' buck", which to me makes no sense. Bucking bronc'? maybe, but clearly, McLean is an erudite guy. I'm convinced he means 'pronking', because it clearly is the metaphor most fitting.

    But of course, he won't say. And I might be right, I might be wrong, interpreting that silly song, the one..... Madonna......fried!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that makes a lot more sense, S. Madonna needs to take her scary self out of the limelight and retire with whatever grace she has left ;)

      Delete